Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Tips for Grocery Shopping on a diet



When on a diet I find it extremely challenging to do the grocery shopping. Why? Well, it's because everything that I shouldn't be eating calls out to me!

Yesterday I went shopping for the week's groceries and I managed to stick to everything I planned to buy and I followed these steps:

1. I planned out my meals for the week. Breakfast, lunch and dinner. As a budget saver I planned out the meals using as much as I could of what I already had in the pantry. I have so much in my pantry that every time I close the cupboard I do a "shove" and "quickly close" move.

2. I made a list. I took a look at the weekly specials in the Woolworths brochure online, this way I KNEW what was going to be highlighted as "sale" items and I knew what I could get and what I needed to stay away from. I don't know about you, but quite often if I see "buy one Dairy Milk chocolate, get one free "I tend to rationalise why it should be in my shopping trolley!
3. When I was in the shops I avoided any aisles that I didn't need to go into (i.e. the confectionary aisle, the biscuit aisle).
4. If there was temptation to buy something horribly delicious, I asked myself THREE times whether I really wanted it. I would say...YES...yes...NO...and put it back.
5. I set myself  a time limit as to how long I would be at the shops. This is to make sure I wasn't going to wonder the aisles and look at things I shouldn't be. I stuck to the list!
6. At the checkout, I didn't even look at the chocolate bars that could easily fall onto the conveyor belt, I moved away.

Simple things...but it is essential to make everything a deliberate decision.

One thing that I found really helpful was looking out for Weight Watchers products. I knew that I would want snacks and desserts, so I bought the Weight Watchers treats and sweets so I know that I could control my portions and fat intake. The range is quite impressive and covers many categories.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts with Thumbnails