Monday, January 18, 2010

"Mummy! It's a balloon!"




Ok, so I'm changing my 2 year old daughter's nappy whilst on vacation in Port Douglas, QLD a few weeks ago and she exclaims "Mummy! It's a balloon!".

I am perplexed and there are no balloons in the vicinity, so I probe further to find out what has captured her eye.

"Darling, what are you looking at, where is the balloon?"

To which she points towards me and repeats "Balloon, mummy, Balloon!"

To my horror I follow her pointer finger directly pointing to my tummy which is highlighted in a pair of a boardshorts - that are never kind to a "pear shaped" figure as my own.

"Oh darling, that's not a balloon! That's mummy's tummy...and shall we never speak of this again?"

As you can imagine, it wasn't a highlight of my vacation but rather a confirmation that 2010 must be a weight loss year (again!).

I could say that it's weight gain due to having a baby, but some would call that "lying". I could say that I have big bones, but standing at 5"1 (ok, fine 5" 1/2)...I don't think anyone would believe that I have big bones!

No, the reality is, I set my metabolism to "slow" a LONG time ago and I lack commitment to be truly successful at living at a healthy weight.

So, why do I think that 2010 is going to be anything different to every other year that I've committed to weight loss? Well, here's a list:

1. I don't feel healthy. Just forget walking anywhere! I feel like I've run a marathon if I walk around the block!
2. I hate clothing shopping. I know, can you imagine? I really do hate getting hot and sweaty in the change room trying to squeeze into a pair of pants, or trying on a top that likes to highlight my "extra layers", or only shopping for black!!!
3. If I do want to have another baby, I have to lose at least 20 kgs, medical fact I reckon. This is especially true because I had high blood pressure during my pregnancy.
4. I have diabetes in the family. Enough said.
5. I have family who is also losing weight, so I have my support network.
6. I'm just going to do it!

I think it's important not to be discouraged by failed attempts at weight loss. You just need to push past it and focus on the future and all the benefits!

Every day of healthy eating gives you renewed strength and I'm sure builds healthy cells and does wonders for your body, so take each day at a time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts with Thumbnails